Santa Cruz County Law Library
Wireless Access Policy
The Santa Cruz County Law Library (SCCLL) provides free unfiltered wireless access in the Library for the public to use with their personal notebooks, laptops and other mobile devices. These access points are unsecured and unfiltered.
B. Policy Statement
Any person connecting to wireless Internet access within SCCLL must abide by the following guidelines:
1. Wireless connections are not secure. Cautious and informed wireless users should not transmit personal information (credit card numbers, passwords, and any other sensitive information) while using any wireless “hot spot”. Please take appropriate precautions when using this service.
2. All wireless users should have up-to-date virus protection on their laptops or other wireless devices. The library is not responsible for any information that is compromised, or for any damage caused to an individual’s hardware or software due to electrical surges, security issues, or caused by viruses or hacking.
3. Wireless users requiring sound must use headphones.
4. Library printers are not available via the wireless connection.
5. Library staff can provide general information for connecting to the wireless network. Staff will not troubleshoot problems related to your wireless device or assist in making changes to your device’s network settings and/or hardware configuration. The Library does not guarantee that your device will work with the wireless access.
6. Responsible, ethical use of this resource includes the following:
a. Using the network for legal research.
b. Not accessing obscene, harmful or disruptive material.
c. Respecting intellectual property rights by making only
authorized copies of copyrighted or licensed software or
data residing on the Internet.
d. Respecting the privacy of others by not:
- Attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords or data belonging to
- Introducing viruses;
- Seeking unauthorized access to any computer system, or damaging or altering
software components of any network or database.
This policy applies to anyone within SCCLL connecting to the Internet via the wireless access point.
Use of the wireless network is entirely at the risk of the user. The library disclaims any and all liability for loss of confidential information or damages resulting from that loss, or any and all damages resulting from use of the wireless network. The library does not guarantee that wireless access will always be available during or after normal business hours.